March 6, 2008

Paris 1907 in Autochrome Colors, (NOT hand-painted photographs)

Our friend Luc Piché sent us this slideshow from the Paris City Hall, REAL COLOR PHOTOS of early century Paris, a color process called Autochrome and involving potato derived dies. Those are truly amazing, revealing a Paris that only writers and painters had captured in color. Luc was rewarded by finding his own grandfather with US troops at the Paris liberation, having a beer in a café (last slide). Check this out here

3 comments:

The13th said...

Très magnifique!

I especially loved viewing the old Moulin Rouge and the soldier shots, but all (even the 2008 pics) were wonderful.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jacques, Thanks for sending the pictures of Paris. Some of the places I have been to much later ofcourse. I did like Paris....Helen

Anonymous said...

Merci Jim for sharing my story with your friends, on your great blog. I'm thrilled for having found this picture of my Grandfather, cheering us all from the past after a long war...