January 29, 2008

Greeting Our New Maid Lupe

Nikki and I were looking forward to our new maid's first visit this Tuesday, a person that came highly recommended by friends we have by the beach. Our house built in dusty Baja was in dire need of some prep work, basic human pride demanding. Our bed was concealing a complex matrix of dog hair and dust bunnies coating the guitar case and everything else thrown under there for two years. Done. Then we took care of the different trash bins overflowing with crap. What would she think? Of course the kitchen floor Mexican tiles had too many grease spots, so I took care of that since I am the one who tends to cook with wild abandon. Nikki did her clothes closet so that the lady's organizational skills would not feel challenged. I thought I ought to wash the top windows since most natives in our area tend to be of short Mayan stock, unable to reach there. But then water started to drip on the lower panes, so I ended up washing all the panes. Eventually we cleaned up the dust bunnies hanging on the walls that Lupe would not reach. Many fell on the furniture, so a quick 'Pledging' of these was called for. No big deal since I happen to be addicted to the scent of lemon Pledge. My desk was covered with books, cameras, tools and wires. We declared the area verboten. The same with Nikki's computer area. One bad move dusting the keyboard and a chapter of Nikki's next novel is gone or badly mangled. We do not want that. Same with the music keyboards, piano, electronics. A wire is so easily pulled from its socket. Verboten. Of course we expect Lupe to clean corners, our house having several hundreds of these from a quick estimate, all suffering neglect. But all shelves need to be cleared before accessing their corners, precious little objects that could fall on the hard ceramic floor and shatter, some three-part sculpture held only by gravity. We could tell her which, but this would tax her already overloaded memory from all these other client's stuff. So we ended of clearing all the shelves ourselves, placing all their content on sevaral tables that became de facto 'verboten'. Since we now had no place to have our Monday night dinner. Nikki "Windexed' all the glass shelves and together we put the stuff back. Tuesday morning we got up at six. The arrangement was that Lupe was to bring her own favorite mop and that we were to provide her with a pail. My pail had some cement deposits stuck to it so I washed and scraped it till 7AM, eyeing Nikki who was frantically cleaning around the sink for traces of my morning breakfast, sorting out the cleaning products underneath until they looked like something that Lupe would see in a normal house. This is when I saw them, those ceiling fan blades, how awfully dirty. Never noticed before how they could show off the soot from our central wood stove. What would she think? And worse, what would she tell? We have a 13 foot ceiling. I'm six foot tall and our stepladder is 5 feet. But I did it, I cleaned up all 3 ceiling fans...breaking a bulb that splintered all over the floor below. Tiny glass chards. She could could easily cut herself while rinsing her mop.

So I scoured and washed the entire floor before 8AM. However, I cut myself rinsing the mop, leaving blood marks in both bathrooms while looking for a Band-Aid. No big deal. I quickly washed both lavatories, removed finger marks from the mirrors and then rushed to put some clean clothes on. Ouch! , my own 'armoire' was a war zone. Verboten for Lupe. She would certainly tell neighbors what a slob I am.
8:25AM, any minute now she will be here. Thank heavens for Nikki's fluency in Spanish. She will guide Lupe through the tasks. We discussed tips. This hard-working woman referred to us by our elitist neighbors ought to get at least 20 dollars, an amount I just happened to have as a crisp bill in my shirt pocket. And there she was, all 5-foot of her, beaming at the gate. 'Hola Lupe'...said Nikki while our three dogs barked in unison. She then introduced the woman to the house and to her 'marido'; I immediately handed her a cup of steaming coffee and a croissant while Nikki quickly swept the crumbs from around the toaster oven. Then they sat by the coffee table and smiled profusely in Spanish.
A nine o'clock, Lupe and Nikki were still chatting about dogs, a common interest, later deciding that there was really nothing to do in the house today. We paid her one hour and a half and I gratefully gave her the $20 bill so that I can get on with the business of the day, writing this blog in quiet silence.

6 comments:

Camille said...

Too incredibly funny! You ignored all my advice. Open the door, shove her inside, and let her do her thing! After reading this, I'm going to bed with a valium, if I had one, which I don't. I'm exhausted.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that totally hilarious! J asked if there was anything I would like to remove before he posted it as a blog - nary a word said I after reading through - I just love it!

The13th said...

I love the line about both "smiling in Spanish". Great!

Under time pressure I recently resorted to some cleaning services myself. U.S. prices aren't nearly as "tidy" but I sure was happy to see the results!

It's a Lupe Loop life - with special thanks to the Lupes out there!

Anonymous said...

Tom insisted I read your e-mail today as I to am preparing for the house maid to clean today. It is a laugh because I will be doing some of the same routines before her (Koky) arrival around noon . . First, I proceed to the bedroom and try to decipher which of Tom's clothes on the floor are dirty or clean( hopefully I don't hang up the soiled ones) Next both the dresser and bathroom counters are loaded with every conceivable make-up product and needs putting away.(by the way, few, if any of these products work the miracles they claim) Naturally, I still buy them as wrinkles keep a coming. Well, at least I don't have to make the bed because Koky excels in getting this just perfect pillows and all. The kitchen is the next room needing organization. First I'll fill the dishwasher and clear the counters . It's now that I stuff all pieces of mail and and papers into a decorative box on the counter awaiting for another day of serious filing. Newspapers are gathered in one spot for their deposit in the recycled bin. Things are looking better already so I move into the office and declare it the DISASTER AREA. This time I just can't blame Tom alone because I have small boxes of school papers sitting on the floor calling to me. But where do I put them. My file system is buldging at the seams so I'll have to decide what stays and what can be relegated to the garage. (The garage we won't even discuss) I guess I have no choice but to get on my bottom and sort through this mess. When Koky arrives, I'll explain to her how to take care of the wood floors and she will continue to do them her way with an old fashioned mop. It shouldn't take more than an hour. Perhaps If I get done straightening up, I can reward myself with a walk on the beach with Tom later on. Surely no one is going to pay me for my efforts so I'll be more than satisfied with that walk.
Wish I had someone up here that would work for $20, please share Lupe with us if she ever does clean your house.
So dear friends, this is the third day of my retirement from school and I'm in heaven. This week I've decided to do very little and then take on the chores of life next week. For now, my love to you both.

Anonymous said...

That's great!!

Anonymous said...

You guys are hillarious!i bet everyone of us would do this at our first encounter with a cleaning person coming in our house!
Un jour je veux vivre comme voux deux!XXX