October 2, 2007

After My Second Martini,.. My Very First Blog.

"I'm writing a novel called 'The Enemy.' It's a story about 3 terrorists who enter the United States as medical doctors (a play-off on the recent London and Glasgow bombings -- unsuccesful as they might have been.)
You, dearest brother-in-law, asked me why I insisted on writing something about which I knew nothing. Don't know. Still, I persevered. Almost 3/4's through the book. In order to write it, however, I had to do a great deal of research. I've read everything from 'Inside the CIA,' (Ronald Kessler) to 'Middle East Illusions,' (Naom Chomsky) to 'The Soldier' (about Colin Powell), and many, many more in between. I refused to denigrate the Bush administration without garnering as much understanding as possible.
Sadly, today, I recognize that a party of ideologues (neocons Cheney and his accolytes, perhaps Rumsfeld) insisted of developing a case for the war in Iraq, rather than responding to a direct threat. Colin Powell was the one dissenting voice in the first four years of Bush's presidency. Powell fought a good battle but, as a soldier, ultimately bowed to the his superior's wishes, believing in the 'facts' provided to him by the CIA. I've found him to be a good and honest man, one with an unbeatable record of service to our country. Someone I would have thankfully supported for President. But he was destroyed, asked to resign as Bush went into his second term, as were any of those with dissenting voices.
I am an American (ex-Canadian for 40 years); I love and am intensely loyal to my country. I am a Republican, resistant to a welfare and high tax state. Over and over again, I thank the young men and women who are sacrificing their blood in this Iraqi warfront. You don't think it's a war? Tell it to our soldiers.
How do we get out of this ugliness? To date, my vote will be for Mitt Romney, who has proven himself to be a superb financier and business leader. Someone I believe will not be deluded by special interest/far left ideologies.

P.S. If you're one of those who espouses a 9/11 conspiracy by the American government, go take a deep dip in the fires of hell.

9 comments:

Jacques POIRIER said...

Welcome aboard on behalf of all of us, and a toast to you too!

Camille C. said...

Why do I think I'm going to get the shit kicked out of my pants!!!

Anonymous said...

first lets see a snapshot of you wearing pants
welcome here and nutin wrong with what you said till now
try sometimg else

Anonymous said...

As you began writing your book, you were subjected to scoffing attitudes. Who are you to assume you can speak on such matters was the basic message to you. Your qualities shine through. First, you are determined and you have persevered. Second, you have researched, read and read yet more in an attempt to understand that WHY so few of us know. Chapeau to you, madame, or, in English, I raise my hat. More of us should follow your example.

Anonymous said...

Most wars are complete fuckups, pardon the expression. The PBS series running these days shows that in WW2 most battle plans were botched with thousands of ill-equipped soldiers running to their deaths for the glory of their cigar-smoking generals. What was to last 3 hours lasted 3 months and more often than not the grunts paid the price with their lives. The lying and the inflamed egos of the politicos created enough victims to fill encyclopedias. Thanks Ken Burns vor gently reminding us.

The13th said...

I thought it was a wonderful blog. Per espousing 9/11 theories, personally, I just want a few more questions answered. I don't engage any specific theory of current, except for acknowledge a grand public concern to know more.

Sounds like a very intense book. I admire anyone who possesses a knowledge of foreign policy. So the only shit I really can kick, Camille, is my own ignorance!

Looking forward to reading/learning /considering more!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA I KNOW WHO VOTED FOR ROMNEY NOW

The13th said...

Again, welcome to Blawgula's Castle, Camille. Great shocking first post! It blew my upcoming alien utopia from Alpha Omega announcement all to pieces.

Are you taking questions, Camille?

I'd love to know more about the creative process itself. Why you chose the topic, how you shaped it (and how it shaped you), and the end result (which if you are still finishing it) is in process. Exciting? Exhausting?

I promise not to attempt peeling the bumper sticker while you are explaining the engine (..said while nudging others...)

Anonymous said...

Letter to my Gotham Instructor:

Manuel: Your instruction on this topic was so helpful to me, and I'm glad to hear you're dreadful at plot. It makes you so human as a writer. What plagues me about plot? Nothing. It's finding the story itself that plagues me. Or is that one and the same? Once found, I'm off and away. I've now finished three short novels, "Rocket Man Andrews and The Ashby Gap Gang," (for children) "Hunting for Belle" (for old ladies, me) and "The Enemy" (for absolutely no one -- too scary, too political. Oh me Gawd. You should see the cover my brother-in-law has created for me!) These have been my practice tools. I'm ready for the next and this time I'm going for broke. No more 225+ page, self-published stuff (at $7 each through InstaBook.com, my vanity and hard work is fully satisfied). Right now, I have no idea. I seem to be into the detective style genre and there are so many ugly stories in the real world to tell. I'm looking. I love Gotham and this is my 3rd course. I'm thinking I'll sign up for another simply because I need a lot of hand-holding.